Cappuccino Coffee Cake
225g (8oz) very soft butter, plus a little extra to grease the tins
225g (8oz) light Muscovado sugar or Caster sugar
225g (8oz) Self Raising flour
1tsp Baking Powder
4 large eggs
4 level tsp instant coffee (You could use Carte Noire Expresso)
175g (6oz) Soft butter
350g (12oz) Icing Sugar
4 level tsp instant coffee dissolved in 1 tbsp boiling water
Preheat oven to 180c, 160c fan or 350f Gas 4
1. Butter and line the base of 2 deep 20cm (8inch) sandwich tins.
2. Measure all cake ingredients, except coffee, into a large mixing bowl, beat together until smooth.
3. Stir in dissolved coffee until thoroughly blended
4. Divide mixture evenly between the 2 tins and level the tops.
5. Bake for 25-30 mins until golden brown – the cake shrinking from both sides of the tin and the sponge spring back when pressed.
6. Leave cakes to cool.
7. To make icing: mix butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl and beat together until smooth. Beat in the coffee and divide into four.
8. When cakes are cold slice each cake horizontally in half giving you 4 layers of cake.
9. Sit one layer of cake on a cake stand and spread with 1/4 of the icing mixture. Lay another layer of cake on top and repeat process, finishing with icing on the top layer.